Clinton: ‘I take responsibility’ for security ahead of Benghazi attack
Lima, Peru (CNN) — Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the buck stops with her when it comes to who is to blame for security ahead of a deadly assault on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
“I take responsibility” for what happened on September 11, Clinton said in an interview with CNN’s Elise Labott soon after arriving in Lima, Peru, for a visit. The interview, one of a series given to U.S. television networks Monday night, was the first she has given about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.
Clinton insisted President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are not involved in security decisions.
“I want to avoid some kind of political gotcha,” she added, noting that it is close to the election.
Don’t take this as me going *soft* on Obama/Biden and all the BS that they spew but during the VP debate the other night Joe Biden said, “We didn’t know” regarding the security, or lack thereof at the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi. I honestly had to wonder if he was telling the truth, and I still wonder at just what time the Executive branch became aware and involved.
It was terribly convenient of Hillary to fall on her sword like that for the Obama team but in all honesty, security details are NOT in the normal purview of the White House.
Duties of the Secretary of State
• Serves as the President’s principal adviser on U.S. foreign policy;
• Conducts negotiations relating to U.S. foreign affairs;
• Grants and issues passports to American citizens and exequaturs to foreign consuls in the United States;
• Advises the President on the appointment of U.S. ambassadors, ministers, consuls, and other diplomatic representatives;
• Advises the President regarding the acceptance, recall, and dismissal of the representatives of foreign governments;
• Personally participates in or directs U.S. representatives to international conferences, organizations, and agencies;
• Negotiates, interprets, and terminates treaties and agreements;
• Ensures the protection of the U.S. Government to American citizens, property, and interests in foreign countries;
• Supervises the administration of U.S. immigration laws abroad;
• Provides information to American citizens regarding the political, economic, social, cultural, and humanitarian conditions in foreign countries;
• Informs the Congress and American citizens on the conduct of U.S. foreign relations;
• Promotes beneficial economic intercourse between the United States and other countries;
• Administers the Department of State;
• Supervises the Foreign Service of the United States.
The supervision of the Foreign Service, THAT is where the Benghazi failure occurred.
As much as I detest Barack Hussein Obama, the daily operation and security of that and all other Embassies is not HIS job, it is ultimately the job and responsibility of the Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Please don’t misunderstand me, I DO hold Obama personally responsible for this; there has been NO retaliation of any kind over the attack on our Embassy or the deaths of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, former SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods and Sean Smith, a computer expert. For that there is NO excuse.
I am of the opinion that Clinton has taken this position for at least 2 reasons; the 1st being to take pressure off of Obama prior to his next debate with Mitt Romney, basically a political move, and 2nd, because it IS the right thing to do in ANY case because STATE is her playground, and she had *bad guys* in the yard and no means of fighting them off.